Sunday, October 01, 2006

And Yet Death Comes To This Place (from The Songs Of The Erinnyes, Sonnets, Odes, and Elegies by Jay Noya, Brigantium Press)

And yet death comes to this place
A not fabled or tamed death
A railway yard death miles and time worn
Anonymous from station to station
Platform to platform without end
Without known or seen or rumored profit
Leave-taking without words and gestures
Leave-taking without a face to go by
And recollect years later
And fasten one’s anguish and remorse to
This is a wordless place where death brings
The carrion birds over
And I’ve told them plenty
I’ve confessed and owned up to my vagrant ways
I said that you’ll find me one day
Wandering passing through
This other place I’ve got a postcard of
It won’t always be a nameless place
It won’t always be like this
Walking to the edge of things
Walking to the edge of ideas in a place like this
Where death cajoles the carrion birds to land


© J. Noya 2006